Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sustainability Visits

Interview Transcript:
1. What is your name and your role here at the farmer's market?
My name is Cora and I'm a vendor here at the farmer's market.

2. Why do you choose to support this farmer's market?
Because it's a new farmer's market so we decided that we would help it in the beginning. 

3. When did you first start selling here?
Back when it first started, in 2008.

4. Do you have a garden at home, why or why not?
We have a big farm at home, we have it because we think that eating what you grow is better than at the stores.

5. What would your advice be to get others to do what you do?
I wouldn't really have any advice to give others to do what I do, but what I do have to tell people is that they should eat healthy. Come out to farmer's markets and buy good healthy food.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

What struck me about the location I visited was how many people were there. There were a lot of people and all of them were buying. This wasn't what I expected because I thought there was going to be less people because I thought farmer's markets weren't as popular. Also what struck me is that we got some lemons and they smelled really good on the outside. It struck me because lemons from a normal market don't smell like anything at all.


My Mom and I bought some lemons which were cheap, they were 75 cents each and they were organic. At our market organic lemons are like $1.25 each. One thing that was kind of outrageous to me was that a cup chopped up mango with chili and lime was $5. I think because of how cheap somethings were I'm going to attend farmer's markets more often instead of regular markets. 


I think that these locations fit into the question "Why don't people live more sustainably" because not a lot of people know about them so they don't do the effort of trying to be more sustainable. Also, it fits into the "How can I convince them to do so" question because most of these locations are really close to where everyone lives, they're not all just in one central location. They're all over the county. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Diego,
    I really liked your post because you gave a good argument about why we should shop at farmers markets and eat healthy. One of the things in your post that made me think was the question you asked Cora, What advice would you give people to do what you do? and she didn't really have an answer whereas most people would have a strong perspective on how people should eat and why they should eat that way. One thing i still have to wonder is, how often do you, Diego, shop at farmers markets for organic food?

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Diego I liked the way you said that you expected less people to be at the farmers market because I think almost everyone thought about that including myself, but it ended up having lots of people. I really thought about how you said the lemons smell at the farmers market but not at the normal markets. I really liked your answers to the questions because you were specific about the prizes of food sold there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you explained what you thought about people shoping at Farmers Markets and eating healthy and how important it really is. Something that made me think was when you said that the lemons were 75 cents each but at the grocery store they usually cost 1.25. It made me think some things at the Farmers Market are cheaper than the grocery store but some are actually more expencive that it would be at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diego! Hey buddie!:)
    Your interview with Cora seemed pretty interesting and she had good responses. I agree with jocelyn, i like how you said that you expected there to be less people than there was because i remember going to the farmers market and thinking the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete